Sad News

Hello Loves,

I apologize for not posting sooner, but I have had some health issues this past week and I've also been dealing with the loss of my little dog, Lady.

I started posting about how Lady, my little 12-year-old diabetic toy poodle, hadn't been doing very well a couple weeks ago here on my blog. I had been taking her to the veterinarian almost every day for two weeks straight and last Saturday, October 27, 2012, at 6:45pm my family and I had to put her to sleep.

I cannot explain how devastating and sad the whole experience was. She was in so much pain, because her kidneys, liver, and pancreas had started shutting down and could not process any fluids. She deteriorated very rapidly from Wednesday, October 24th, to Saturday, October 27th. She was on four to five different medications and was receiving IVs with fluids, but nothing helped.

On Friday, October 26th, the veterinarian told me and my parents that she was not going to get any better and that if we didn't make a decision to put her to sleep then, that we would definitely have to make a decision on Monday, if she even made it through the weekend. (The vet said that she would deteriorate very quickly, but I didn't think that it would happen within hours).

Later on that night, she lost control of going to the bathroom and had diarrhea on me. She also peed several times on my mom and myself and she didn't even realize it. That was when we knew that her organs were shutting down.

On Saturday, October 27th, I took her to the vet's office at 8:15am for an IV. She seemed to be doing the same (still having trouble breathing, nausea, and some pain). In the afternoon, she could not get comfortable. She would wheeze and try to breathe and cry out in pain. Then she would have nausea. She couldn't even drink water, because it hurt her organs to try and process it.

A few hours later, the pain got more severe. Her cries were so painful. Every time I heard her cry, I would cry. My family and I would hold her in a blanket and rock her like a baby trying to comfort her. We would also walk around the house holding her.

We ended up giving her three doses of her pain medication, but nothing would work.

She started to foam at the mouth and then the pain escalated and never stopped. She was suffering and there was nothing we could do to help her. It was then that we knew that it was time to put her to sleep. She had suffered long enough. 

We went to the emergency vet clinic in Leesburg, Florida and had her put to sleep. In the room, Lady knew that it was her time to go. It was the only time that she calmed down and began to close her eyes. She looked at me knowing that we were helping her.

My parents and I stayed with her in the room and held her, until she breathed her last breath and then we kissed her goodbye.

My family and I could not stop crying. In fact, I had been crying uncontrollably for the past week leading up to Saturday, because something inside of me knew that I didn't have long with Lady.

When she passed, she was finally at peace and at rest. She hadn't rested for about two weeks and was in so much pain. I wasn't ready to let her go and I miss her so much. She was my best friend and the sweetest dog. She fought until the very end and I have peace knowing that I will one day see her again. The only consolation I had after Lady passing was that I knew that she was no longer in any pain. She had been such a good dog with a unique and loving personality. She will never be replaced.

I still have one pup left and her name is Coco. Coco is Lady's sister - they were from the same litter. Little Coco has been sad, as well, because this I the first time in 12 years that she has ever been alone without her sister, Lady. I'm blessed that I still have Coco and I'm pouring all my love into that little dog, so that she doesn't suffer from anxiety or depression.

I think of Lady every day and I keep her alive in my heart.

I love you, Lady.


Lady Coe, 12 years old - Toy Poodle, Princess, Best-Friend
(January 12, 2000-October 27, 2012)

Comments