My Many Visits To The Vet

Hello Loves,

Sorry it's been a few days since I've posted...I've been spending all my time at the veterinarian's, trying to get my little pup to feel better. :(

I have a 12 year old toy poodle named, Lady, who has had diabetes since she was 1 year old. Everyday for the past 12 years, she has had to get two shots a day of insulin. This past August, I went to Greece for three weeks to visit some family and my parents took care of her and her sister, Coco. Now Coco is a toy poodle, as well, but she hasn't had any health issues, except for a senstive stomach and some kidney stones.

When I left home and stayed in Greece, little Lady quit eating. She had no appetite and no energy. This was really bad, especially since she needs her insulin shots and without any food in her system, she can't take the shots. As soon as I arrived back home in September, she began to perk up and eat again. That only lasted for two weeks and then she just lost her appetite.

She's always been a picky eater, but this was different. So, I took her to the vet on Monday of this week and he said that her blood sugar level was sky high, she had really bad cataracts, some liver and kideny failure, a mouth infection, and some fluid in her lungs!!! I mean, no wonder she didn't want to eat anything, she felt like poop!!

The vet sent me home with three different types of medication and two syringues (one for food and the other for the pills). I had to feed her with a syringe the first night, give her the medicine, bump up her insulin, and then bring her back the next day for more blood work.

Yesterday, her blood sugar level was still REALLY high, so we bumped up her insulin level again and they gave her fluids to help with the infection and hydrate her. She went home with two fluid sacs on her back that would dissolve throughout the day...poor booboo looked like a hunchback :(

Anywyas, last night I had to feed her with a syringe again and she absoluelty HATES the medication, but this morning she ate her regular food on her own and she wanted seconds!!! I was so excited to see her acting hungry and like her old self :)

I took her back to the vet after she ate her breakfast and got her insulin shot this morning and good news...her blood sugar dropped from 780 yesterday to 118 today!!! Woo!!! My little booboo is doing much better. The plan is now to keep her at the updated insulin level and on Friday, I'm taking her back to do more bloodwork to check if we've regulated her levels.

Please keep her in your prayers. She is such a special little pup and I love her with all of my heart.

Lady


Comments